Player claims scaled to world map

General discussion about Life is Feudal MMO and Life is Feudal: Your Own, The main section and backbone of the forums.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 15 Jan 2016, 21:18

They weren't. I thought the same thing too but then I realised we didn't know the MMO server node - YO is same scale at the time, and the fact they seemed so big were because we were thinking a MMO server was bigger than a YO server.

I agree they should be extended. If you only build housing in just this area, you'll be able to house I'd say maximum 150 - 200 people which will not be enough for huge guilds to establish themselves. I know they can just spread out but still gonna be needed.

Personally I think a city's claim size should depend on its monument level (potentially infinite size with a maxed out one) and active population - if there are a lot more actives than what the current claim size can support (like if there is an immigration wave or something) then it starts expanding more or less fast. If there aren't enough active players for the city claim and thus too much space, then it starts reducing, and eventually the city will have to give up its fortifications and slowly become a "rotting", ghost town. That system would also prevent madmen terraformers from building huge cities out of sight just by themselves.

And let me emphasize on that point : builders are going to need excitement too. And unfortunately, building kinda the same things over and over again is pretty lame, but having to always expand a city's fortifications will be fun ! Why not allow "Carthages" or "Romes" to build over time ? :crazy:

(All this just gave me the idea to write yet another file about land claim and city building)

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Re: Player claims scaled to world map

Post by Stormsblade » 15 Jan 2016, 21:22

As it is now, the world is very, very large, and claims are... small. People will still fight because they want PVP, but there won't be "border conflicts" and you certainly won't feel like you are in a "Kingdom."

Just a claim a bit larger than a cities!

The idea of ever expanding borders is appealing for very large cities. I would love to see borders actually touch one another, driving conflict.

Hoshiqua
Alpha Tester

Post by Hoshiqua » 15 Jan 2016, 21:25

Touching borders between cities is going to be very rare, I feel, or the cities will have eaten one another into their kingdoms. That's what I would do at least :crazy:

Kingdom borders have a lot more chance to be touching. Do not forget, you theoretically only need 20 people to create a kingdom.

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 15 Jan 2016, 21:29

Aye, I agree. I meant to say Kingdom borders touching, not cities :good:

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 15 Jan 2016, 22:27

I think it would be an interesting mechanic if keeps were used to expand realm claims in areas around where they were constructed, that could be captured or destroyed in battles.

This would allow for potentially infinite expanding borders, but at substantial cost.

Deus-X-Incognita

Post by Deus-X-Incognita » 16 Jan 2016, 01:34

Kingdoms are - more or less - Cities combined, which is especially true for the time represented by LIF.

If cities combine, there will be larger territory covered with this. And, as in "reality" - between cities, there is often "lawless" land.

But PvP wise - your land goes as far as you can enforce it, no matter of "claim".

Conflict arises as soon as claims get near each other, or if a non-allied city lies between yours and your vasall - and such.

And then you can even "expand" the usual way: You claim land - by conquering it - and then you plant your own city on the remains.
German RP Server

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 16 Jan 2016, 02:17

I think we are aware of that, but want larger kingdom claims anyway

Azzerhoden
Alpha Tester

Post by Azzerhoden » 25 May 2016, 19:34

Since we now have confirmation that the claim sizes in the MMO are comparable with the claim sizes in YO, and that the YO map is equal to one cluster in the MMO, I decided to update my map of claim sizes and provde a comparison to what that will look like in the MMO.

First, what the updated claim size in for YO

Next, what the comparison to the MMO will look like

All this is an estimate of course, but it still gives some perspective.
| - Alpha Tester and Zealous Believer

Kingdom of Hyperion founding Duchy - A practical RP Community est. 1999 - Apply Today!

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 25 May 2016, 19:37

I'd like to see their sizes doubled.

Dleatherus
Beta Tester

Post by Dleatherus » 25 May 2016, 22:18

as in doubling area, or doubling diameter, because there's a significant difference between the two

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 26 May 2016, 00:32

Aye.
The diameter.

AfLIcTeD

Post by AfLIcTeD » 26 May 2016, 02:24

Wow Realm claims are tiny. So how is a kingdom going to grow? Can you only have 1 realm claim per Kingdom?

I think the realm claim should grow for every town claim that is a part of that kingdom. So when war time comes and towns are lost and captured Kingdoms will grow or shrink.
There doesn't seem to be alot of infomation on claims for the MMO.

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 26 May 2016, 03:18

There are no more realm claims.
They currently operate exactly as in YO in the MMO.

AfLIcTeD

Post by AfLIcTeD » 26 May 2016, 03:22

Well I guess the wiki is well outdated then? lol. So there is no info on claims then?

Stormsblade
Alpha Tester

Post by Stormsblade » 26 May 2016, 03:35

AfLIcTeD wrote:Well I guess the wiki is well outdated then? lol. So there is no info on claims then?

Try reading it a bit more closely:
http://lifeisfeudal.gamepedia.com/Claim

AfLIcTeD

Post by AfLIcTeD » 26 May 2016, 03:45

Yeah I noticed it now lol. Why have it there if it is outdated then?

So the claim system is gonna suck for the MMO. No way those claim sizes will support the max people. Hope they have something better planned up their sleeve.

Dragmar
Zealous Believer

Post by Dragmar » 26 May 2016, 04:43

AfLIcTeD wrote:Yeah I noticed it now lol. Why have it there if it is outdated then?

So the claim system is gonna suck for the MMO. No way those claim sizes will support the max people. Hope they have something better planned up their sleeve.

That my friend is what beta testing is for. :)

Should we see during the beta that the claims are indeed to small compared to the number of players per claim then I am sure there will be changes.

Thax
Devoted Believer

Post by Thax » 26 May 2016, 16:46

I cannot see the image of the map with the claims scaled on it. Is there a link I can get or is there a problem with me settings on this site ?

Return to General Discussion